Monday, April 9, 2012

Lots to learn...

The paparazzi have nothing on the wedding photographers!
Damali and her Uncle Randy
The bride's maids and flower girl
The groom and groom's maids as they are referred to here.
Only a true teacher would bring flashcards to pass the time...never too early to learn your numbers!
My wedding dates. Luke, Bethany, and Randy.

I got to go to my first Ugandan wedding Saturday. I went to one in Kenya two summers ago, but I wasn’t sure how alike they would be. The wedding I went to Saturday only lasted about an hour and a half, the wedding I went to in Kenya lasted closer to three hours! It was Damali (director of Sonrise) and her new husband Felix’s wedding. They had a traditional village ceremony the weekend before, but this was the Christian church service. Now the fun part, I rode to Kampala (the capital city) on the bus with all of the kids and aunties from Sonrise…did I mention that it was a 24 passenger bus? Did I also mention that there were about 25 adults and almost 40 kids on this bus? Good thing the air conditioning was working. Yeah right…air conditioning in a car! I have decided it’s a requirement for all vehicles across the country of Uganda to have broken air conditioners.
Weddings here are quite different than a typical church wedding at home. The ceremony starts with a praise and worship team leading worship for all the wedding guests. You are encouraged to be loud and clap to praise God throughout the entire ceremony. After several songs the groom and his maids walk down the aisle. In a very slow and intentional process. Step.
Stop. Step. Stop. Then another song. Then the bride’s maids enter in the same manner. Then another song. Then Damali and her Uncle Randy came down the aisle. The vows are very short and precise, then the exchanging of the rings. Then comes the sermon. Damali’s uncle gave the sermon to the congregation. After the sermon, an offering is taken for the church. Then the ceremony ended with the signing of the marriage certificate.
I am learning everyday that I still have so much to learn about living in a completely different culture. There are so many little things that are different. Like the wedding, what is appropriate and not appropriate. I would never get up and take a picture of the bride during a ceremony in the states! But it is absolutely okay here. This week should be a fun week. I am once again in a limbo between living arrangements. My new apartment isn't complete yet, but I need to move out the apartment I am in now. So back again to my friends at Ekisa! I am staying there until my apartment is complete. I am hoping that I get to move in this weekend! I can't wait to show you pictures of my new home. You are going to love it! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend!

2 comments:

  1. O.k. Alisha, now that you have taken notes at the weddings there, send them to me and I will put them with the ones in Grand Bay and we will come up with a G R E A T B I G DIFFERENT WEDDING for the people here. ( This is for your wedding and no one else, Oh, I forgot one thing, find your GROOM!)Haha!!! You look so very good in the pictures. I hope that you are doing well and not sick. I sure hope that all the sickness is behind you. Keep those big blue eyes with that glow in them and I know all is well. I know that you can't wait for your new home to be completed. Just be a little more patient and it will come to pass. Continue to give out the love your have for others. Thank you once again for all that you are doing for God. We miss you and send all of our love and hugs to to you. Continue to serve. Love and prayers. Aunt Myrt. PS: I will be waiting for the wedding notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos... I am learning so much about Uganda, too. May our Lord continue to bless you and use you for His Glory. How goes the visa process and have you found the place that the Lord wants you to work at yet? He will guide you right to it...or it to you... Never fear and Don't Worry. God is in control!

    ReplyDelete