Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sorry for the gap in blogs, honestly I just didn’t feel like I had anything interesting to share with you. (I live in Africa so I know that’s probably not true!) I haven’t had any melt-downs or run-ins with reptiles (not in the shower anyway!), however the Lord has been clearly speaking to me from the book of James. I am realizing that I could do anything and everything to serve the people of Uganda but if I neglect to remember where my burden for these people came from I am in turn neglecting them. I have to remind myself why I am here. And it is to honor God. I honor God by knowing His word and acting it out in day to day life. It’s a struggle some days for me to take advantage of the Bible. Especially here where I am learning about God in so many of my day to day activities and my life is so much more purposefully lived out as a believer than it is in the states. I have come to a place where I am not desperate to hear from God through His word. And I have to work hard to fix that. I need to be well-rounded in my walk with Him, so that I am not dependent on learning from Him through only one way. So in comes James, he shared a life with Christ as his brother and still missed out on so much. James took so much of what the world had to say as truth instead of taking what Christ had to say as truth. So how much harder do I have to try to take what Christ said as truth? James gives a solution, of course it’s not an easy one, to not become a forgetful listener. To take advantage of the word of God and remember it. Memorize it, yikes! Act out on it, even when it isn’t easy, let’s be real, most of the time it’s not easy.

“But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out, he will be blessed in what he does.” James 1:25 (NET)

So I am making a commitment to not be a forgetful listener. I want to listen closely and take action. I want to know that what I am doing honors God, because if it isn’t, then I need to pack up and head home. Imagine the way that we could be serving others if we weren’t forgetful listeners. I myself, think that we as believers would have a better reputation as a whole.

I became an official resident of Jinja today, at least that's what I'm telling myself! I got a box at the post office! So bring on the mail! Haha! Cards take a little over two weeks and are cheap to send. Packages on the other hand are more expensive and take about a month to get here. Now there are those items that get lost along the way and make it three months after leaving the states.
Alisha Vice
PO Box 690
Jinja, Uganda, East Africa

2 comments:

  1. Well Alisha, it is about 3:18 in the afternoon and I stopped long enough to check your blog to see if you had an updated one and you have. Sammy and I are frying fish, can you smell it? You are absolutely right to say that not just you but us to need to stop and reflect on God and allow Him to speak to us. When we are doing His work, we sometimes forget to do that. Thanks for reminding us. Alisha, have you ever thought of writing for Guidepost, Journey, Home Life Magizines? You have grown so in your Spiritual Wisdom. Who knows,this may be something else that God might have you do. You would be good at it. May you have a Blessed and Happy Easter. We will be thinking of you. HAPPY EASTER and have a G R E A T D A Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love and prayers, Aunt Myrt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some of Uncle Sammy's fish!! Oh my goodness...I don't know if I could write as a job! That's so much pressure! I hope you and everybody else at Friendship has a great Easter Sunday. I am getting ready to go to a Good Friday service at my church here. I think I am going to have a great Easter weekend! I love you a whole lot!

      Delete