Monday, March 19, 2012

He shows His love for us...

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ dies for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person-though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-but God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:6-8 (ESV)

Go back and reread that scripture. I know if you're like me you probably just scanned it. Take a few moments to take the words in. Let them settle in your heart.

While reading over my notes from church again, I noticed something in verse 8, "but God shows His love for us". 2 things. 1) Paul uses the words shows in the present tense. (Okay theological scholars, please don't judge me too harshly on this thought! It might not be the right idea, but the Lord used it. Promise!) In my mind, it serves as a comforting reminder that God's love for mankind is not something of the past, it is ongoing. The death of Christ is still manifesting itself so many years later. 2) A lot of times I see the cross as a necessary means of action to show God's righteousness and to provide justice. But I often times, overlook the love of God displayed through the cross. For He orchestrated our salvation through the cross. He allowed His Son to die a gruesome and uncalled for death so we could have fellowship with Him.

Yesterday at church, the pastor said "God works so hard to have a relationship with us, He allowed His Son to be butchered for us." I don't know about you, but I don't like that word butchered. I didn't like it yesterday and it still doesn't sit well today. It's too gory. I would rather use words like died, crucified, sacrificed. I think it comes down to me not being able to understand the depth of both God and Christ's love for us. But God has already dealt with that. In Isaiah 55:8 we are told, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord." And boy am I ever glad for that! I may get frustrated when I can't figure out what He's doing in my life, but I'm so glad that He is so far above me. Do we serve a great God or what?!

Thank you for walking this journey with me. Your encouragement and prayers mean the world to me!

2 comments:

  1. Alisha, well it is about 5:56pm and I just got to read your blog. I am so amazed at how God is using you not only on the Mission Field, but through your spoken words. They are so uplifting. God is so good all the time. I hope you had a good day. May the Lord continue to watch over you and protect you. Keep up the good work and service for Him. Love and prayers. Aunt Myrt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisha, I'm still enjoying your posts.. I'm praying for you, Isaac, and Eden. Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete