Monday, March 12, 2012

Finding compassion for a betrayer...

My Momma knows the way to my heart...candy!
My Momma and Daddy are too good to me!

At the church that I attend, we are going through the book of Matthew as a congregation. They have been doing this for almost two years! I am coming in on the good stuff! It's really cool, because we are working our way up to Easter Sunday where the pastor will be preaching from verses in Matthew 27-28 where the crucifixion and resurrection are accounted. Last Sunday, our preacher gave us a new perspective on Judas. In Matthew 26:14-16, we are told of Judas' plan to betray Jesus. Now, I've never had sympathy for Judas, or even tried to understand why he would betray Jesus. I just looked at him as a selfish coward. Until last Sunday. I wrote our preacher's words down in my Bible because it blew me away. He said, "Maybe Judas was angry that Jesus was leaving him. Who would take care of him once Jesus was gone?" And it struck me. I have more in common with Judas than I thought I did. I think we all do. The moment things gets hazy, I get in a tizzy. I don't know how many times I have said this to the Lord this year, "Oh no, no, no! This is not how I thought this would turn out!" All of the sudden, I feel like the Lord is no longer taking care of me. But then by God's grace, the Holy Spirit brings upon comfort and God provides once again. Now, instead of looking at Judas with anger, I have compassion for him. It breaks my heart that he was so desperate that he betrayed the man who was willing to give His life for Judas' salvation. If only Judas had waited to see what was in store. To see that is what so much more than his fears that Jesus was leaving him. Judas serves as a great reminder to me. Sometimes I have to wait it out, even when I feel like Jesus is leaving me. Because the truth is, He never will leave.
No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you or forsake you. -Joshua 1:5 (ESV)
My teaching is going well! I teach grammar to 24 adults and then go teach phonics and reading to 4 little girls. It's a lot of fun! Pray for my adults in my class. English is their 2nd or 3rd language, so it's not easy to learn the difference in present and past tense. They even complain that I talk too fast, there's a first for everything! Maybe my Daddy should come teach a class...he might speak slow enough for them!

You can also be praying with me that I can find ways to stay involved in the places I love most throughout this month. I got to ride out to a village to check on a little girl with the director of Ekisa Sunday, and I was reminded of how bad I want to be in the villages around Jinja. There is something about living life with these beautiful faces that draws me in and keeps me content. Much love and many prayers to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment