Thursday, March 8, 2012

Safety Sally strikes again...

My $12 helmet!

I love safety. Plain and simple. I thrive when I feel safe. So when my Momma mentioned the other day that my Daddy had offered to pay for a helmet if I could find one, I jumped on that offer! I figured it would be a costly purchase, seeing as though you don't see many helmets here in Jinja. So after some investigating, I took my last boda ride helmetless to the motorcycle shop this afternoon. I took a trusted boda man into the store with me to ensure that I wasn't getting completely ripped off. Imagine my surprise when they pulled a brand new helmet out of a box and said, "It's 30,000 shillings if you want it." That's $12! I happily bought myself $12 worth of safety and proudly wore my helmet on the way home.

Safety is a funny thing. It's mostly a perception. I feel the safest when I am wearing a seat belt, or for now, a helmet. I like taking precautions to feel safe. Some of you are probably thinking, "Okay crazy, you packed your bags and went to Africa and you don't know when you'll be back! What do you know about safety?" Oh trust me, I care about safety. But my perception is different than your's and your's is different than mine. I think it is just another reminder of how differently we are all created. Can you imagine if we were all scared of the same thing? I find safety in sitting in clinics with new pals who might not make it to see tomorrow and learning how to insert cannulas. But put me at a desk working crucial numbers to keep a business/organization running and there is no safety in that for me!

Today was my first day to teach English! Although I entered the classroom very nervous, most of my students are older than me, it ended up being a great experience. Please pray that the Lord would give me wisdom in how to help these ministers be as successful as possible.
"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his son, His one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in Him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending His Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it is. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in Him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust Him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him." John 3:16-18 (The Message)


1 comment:

  1. Alisha, the helmet is simply awesome. When people see you coming they are going to say WOW!!!!
    This can be a conversational piece. You can use it to explain the Armor of God. Helmet of salvation. Know what I mean! Alisha, I sure hope that you are feeling better. I know that you are because of the prayers that have gone up for this sicknesss. Thank you God. Also, I am so glad that your class went well. God is good all the time. Keep up the good work and serving with all your heart.May He,(God) fill your day with all that brings you JOY... May He fill your heart with all that brings you LOVE. Keep on Keeping on serving and loving. Lots of love and prayers. Aunt Myrt. PS: This is the 2nd time that I blogged. I lost my first comment. It didn't let me send it or I didn't push the right button. Hope you get this one because I might forget what I said, The first one was real good.

    ReplyDelete