Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I am doing a Beth Moore Bible study on my own here in Jinja, instead of watching the videos with a group of sisters on Christ, I listen to podcast by myself. It sounds miserably lonely, but it is actually endearing. I get to have Beth all to myself! The Bible study I am doing is based on the book of James, he wrote some good stuff, too bad the poor guy doesn't get much air time! In the last week I completed, Beth takes a day to discuss gifts from God using James 1:16-18. She wrote something that has stuck with me...
"Out of God's outstanding grace, a very imperfect person can still receive a delightfully perfect gift precisely because it's perfect for her. God's gifts are given with goals. They're perfect because they are perfecting. They don't just give today. They give toward every tomorrow."
...it sticks with me because she explained my time in Uganda with this quote. I don't know how long I will be here or even what I'll be doing next month, but this gift of time is perfecting. I am learning what ministry God is burdening me with. I am learning what it looks like to live in a third world country. I am learning how to completely and wholly trust in God when my flesh screams warnings to just handle it myself. I am learning how to handle missing those I love most. But through it all, I am being perfected through this gift from God. It’s not always easy, but it sure is worth it in the end!

Tomorrow, I teach my first English class! I am both excited and nervous. I know that the preachers and church workers will go back to their country (They come from all over East Africa.) and be able to do even more ministry. I am also experiencing my first, of many I’m sure, go-rounds with giardia. Let me tell you…it is no fun! Any time I walk very far, nausea is there waiting for me. Thank goodness I am spending lots of time with a sweet IMB nurse who asked lots of questions about symptoms and gave me a strong dose of antibiotics. All your prayers for quick recovery would be coveted! For all you mommas out there…yes, I am drinking plenty of CLEAN water! :)

2 comments:

  1. My dear and precious Alisha, I know what you are going through with your sickness because I had the very same thing and it is not a good thing. Continue taking your medicine and rest as often as you can. I know God's hand is on you and his servants,the nurse is taking good care of you. Iam praying that you will be well soon. As you begin to teach your class, I feel that it will be productive. God will use all of your knowledge to help those learn what you have prepared for them. God bless you in the days ahead. Our prayers are being sent to you every minute, and hour. Praying that your students will take what you teach them and use it for the Lord and themselves. May they be able to help someone else. May you have a better day tomorrow. Keep on keeping on in Jesus Name, and plant the seed, as I know you are and leave the results to God. To God be the Glory! We love and miss you.Aunt Myrt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Myrt for always having the right words! I needed to hear (or read!) everything that you said! I love and miss you!

      Delete