Thursday, February 2, 2012

The cost of it all...

I made it to Amsterdam safely today. By the time I got on the plane in Atlanta last night I was so exhausted I slept most of the plane ride over! It has been a fun afternoon in Amsterdam, I got to experience public transportation in a completely unknown city. In an unexpected way, it was one more affirmation that I can do this. And a much needed affirmation at that. Yesterday was much harder than I had expected. I realized how much of a sacrifice this journey is for my family and the people who love me. I was thankfully reminded by a wise friend (that would be Audra!) that the sacrifice is worth it because the gospel is at stake.

While the unknown of this trip is exciting because I get to see God's plan play out day by day, it also adds anxiety because I don't know when I'll be back or when I'll get to see the faces of those that I love most again. I felt so silly as I sat on the plane and cried as I turned my phone off in Atlanta. That cell phone is my connection to all of the people in my life. But, as I sat and tried to get my act together I realized that an exciting shift is taking place in my life. A shift to becoming dependent on God for everything. Not just for healing, comfort, wisdom, or provision. He is about to become my best friend. Something that I have desired for a long time, but was never necessary because I had constant fellowship with all the people who know me best. So as scary as it is when I sit here in this tiny hotel room and let my head take over, I have to weigh the options and follow my heart and be obedient.

The next time I blog, I will be in the beautiful country of Uganda...which is much warmer than Amsterdam I might add! I can't wait to show you pictures of those precious babies at Sonrise and share stories validating that this is all worth it! Much love to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart about this next step as God leads you forward into the unknown.He will always be right beside you as He guides your steps.My prayers will be with you also.Please keep us posted on your needs and request so we can keep them before our Lord and Savior. May God Bless you as you follow His Will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me crying! For several reasons. First, your mother's heart must be feeling so many emotions...so proud of her daughter doing God's work in a land so far away. Fear of the unknown that lies ahead of her but trusting God to take care of her and supply all her needs. The thought of not being able to hug you when she wants but the fact that you are giving God's hug to so many people in need of his love.

    Second...I did not get to say goodbye!

    We are so proud of you Alisha. Will be praying for you. Let us know if we can help in any other way.

    Donna and Ancil

    ReplyDelete