Monday, February 13, 2012

Loving big...

Sharon after her toe had been taken care of.
The chubby feet of my Becca!
I mean, look at that face! Becca loves having those fingers in her mouth.

Today was one of those days where I felt like my heart was going to burst with love. Not the easy kind of love, the hard kind that makes me uncomfortable because I know it’s the right thing to do even though it’s going to hurt in the end. It’s going to hurt because I have no control over these situations. It’s also a scary kind of love, because with every passing day Uganda feels more and more like home, my new normal.

I started off the morning with my timid and quiet Rebecca. Luke has decided to share me with his twin, although he’s not very generous with the other babies! Rebecca has had a rough couple of days with an infection on her scalp. The infection requires thick cream to be lathered all over her scalp and it makes her sweat and want to scratch it even more. By the time church was over yesterday afternoon, we were both covered in the cream. This morning she was so weepy and clingy. When I left to go to Daniel’s ministry I left her in the yard screaming and crying. I immediately thought, oh no, no, no this is not good for me or her. They have quickly made a residence in my heart. I am thankful that when I leave Sonrise in a few weeks, I can be comforted in knowing that they will be taken care of. They will be loved. They will be taught about Jesus. Damali and all the aunties here are in love with these sweet babies and provide them with excellent care. I do know one thing is true, I will keep visiting Sonrise after I leave to see my sweet Luke and Becca so that I can sneak them chocolate from my momma!

This afternoon I got to spend time with one of my friends from Masese at Daniel’s. Sharon busted open a scab on her toe and big tears immediately started rolling down her cheeks. While Hadijja (Damali and Daniel’s sister) went to get alcohol and bandages, I did the best thing I could think of…give her gum! I promise I don’t always use candy to make injuries and clinic visits better, but sometimes it’s just necessary! While Hadijja poured the alcohol on her dirty, bleeding toe I held her hand because she was in so much pain. After we got her toe bandaged, I asked Hadijja to translate some questions for me. Let me share some of Sharon’s story with you…She is the fourth of six children. Her father left one day, and he still has not returned. Her mother just got out of the hospital for a very serious case of malaria. Sharon’s next answer to my question broke my heart. My question was simple. “How old are you?” Her reply was “I don’t know.” She then explained that her mom might know, so she would ask tonight. Immediately my mind stared racing. For her not to know when she was born means she doesn’t have a birthday. I had no expectations that Sharon got a Birthday cake or even a small gift on her Birthday, but to know that her mother doesn’t even get to wake her up on that special day every year and say “Happy Birthday Sharon!” was unreal to me. I knew that was common for kids not to know how old they were, but when it was one of my friends, it was a hard pill to swallow. I would guess that Sharon is about 8 or 9 and she has the kindest heart.

Rebecca and Sharon have made me realize that doing ministry here is more than making sure their tummies are full and that they are healthy. It’s about loving too much and too hard. It’s about filling in the gap. The gap of an absent mother. The gap of poverty. The gap of not knowing when you’re birthday is.

I would like to thank all of you who have supported me financially. Now that I have you emotionally attached to Sharon, I would like to share with you an opportunity I had to give. The nurse at Sonrise is going to Daniel’s tomorrow to do a basic screening of what the biggest needs of the girls are. While talking, she said she wished that Daniel had the money to go ahead and buy the medicine that you apply to the areas where jiggers are removed to prevent further infection. We know that several of the girls have jiggers in their feet, including Sharon, and she wanted to go ahead and take care of that tomorrow. I asked how much the medicine cost and she said 30,000 shillings. That’s only $13.50! I immediately said let me buy the medicine, please take care of their feet tomorrow! Because you have graciously written out checks and stuck them in the mail, slipped cash into my Bible when I wasn’t looking, or raised money in your Sunday School class I get to purchase this inexpensive medicine that will allow my friends to go home in relief tomorrow night. And for that I am so very grateful!

And by the way…it’s raining for the first time in a very long time! Thanks for the prayers!!

3 comments:

  1. My heart has been touched by the stories of the children that you love so much and now I love them to. Tell Sharon that I am praying for her and all the others that are suffering . I am at home taking them into my arms and caring for their wounds and hurts. Being so far away from them I am sending through the air all the hugs and medicine from the heart to them, so when you are out side look up and catch them for all the children. PS: Don't forget to open your card tommorrow for Valentine's Day. Much love,Aunt Myrt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for always having encouraging words Aunt Myrtle! You know I have that card sitting out waiting for tomorrow! I will tell Sharon that many prayers and hugs are coming from the states. She will be tickled! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These children and all that you write about has also touched my heart. I pray for them all... I know that Jesus loves them more than we ever could and nothing happens in this life that He does not allow... It does comfort me to know that He is in Control.... no matter what.

    ReplyDelete