Monday, February 27, 2012

the real deal...


The real Michael Jackson!
Who knows if his name really is Micheal Jackson, but he sure is cute!

Tonight, while waiting for my ride, I met a new friend. He is one of the many street kids in Jinja. Little did my new friend know, but I had heard this morning that he had recently ran away from a ministry and they were asking that people not give him money in hopes that he would come back. So when he came up to me and asked for money, I quickly attempted to divert the conversation. I figured asking him what his name was would be safe. Wrong! This conversation is worth me replaying it for you.

Me: “What is your name?”

Him: “Michael Jackson”

Me: “Like the king of pop Michael Jackson?”

Him: “Yes!”

Me: “There is no way that is your real name!”

Him: “It is my name!”

Me: “Do you know famous people?”

Him: “Yes.”

Me: “Justin Beiber?”

Him: “Yes.”

Me: “Selena Gomez?”

Him: “Yes.”

Me: “Do they come visit you when they are in town?”

Him: “YES!”

Me: “I think you are crazy!”

After much giggling, and finding out that he didn’t know the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears, he talked me into giving him 2,000 shillings (a little less than $1) to buy dinner from a man right down the street. As he was walking off, I yelled “I’m watching you! You better buy food!” He just laughed and said “I’m watching you!” Which I know is true! He’ll be watching for the crazy white lady who he can talk into giving him money. But, let’s be real, could you have said no to the real Michael Jackson!?

Today was the day that I have been waiting for…the day where I was completely dependent on Christ to take care of me. As I went throughout the day, I had so much confidence in the fact that He would provide me with a place to live and a place to serve. He gave me glimpses of both. I got offered a room at the home of a really neat, older lady who runs a restaurant here in town. I also got asked to consider helping in the home-schooling of some really cool kids of a young missionary who also lives and serves in Jinja. While both of these might work out, they could both not work out. And that’s okay, because planning my future isn’t my responsibility at the moment.

This evening, I thought about something I used to tell my middle schoolers all the time when I was teaching. Whenever one of my students would tell me how I should do something a different way or reprimand another student (With intentions to only help me of course!), I would always look at them and say “That is not in your job description. I’m the one getting paid for that…and it’s the big bucks too!” I could always feel, and a lot of times see, their eyeballs rolling at me with frustration. Little did I know, I would find myself in the same position with Christ several months down the road. He would be telling me, “That’s not in your job description. I already paid for that right…and it was with my life!” How life turns the tables on us!

2 comments:

  1. Alisha, as I read your blog my heart was a little afraid for you, but then I said, Myrt, God is in control and has everything in his hands including Alisha, but please be very careful. Michael Jackson will be watching you.Be very cautious and careful.As I looked at his picture again, I probably would have done the same thing, but we still have to be careful. God is putting his plan into action. So look for His plans. You see as God sees the little children. Continue to follow the plans that God has laid out for you.I know you are thinking, I don't know those plans yet, but you will. Who knows maybe Samanitain Purse may want you to work with them. I beleive that they are close by where you are at. Just a thought.PS: Have a great and wonderful day and night. Love and Prayers, Aunt Myrt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about putting a donation button on your blog linked to a paypal account? There are a lot of us out here who would like to be able to to what you are doing and can't. However, we may like the idea of throwing a couple of bucks your way to help out...just a thought :-)

    ReplyDelete