Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Wonderful fellowship...

My goodness today was a good day! Today the Lord supplied peace and exciting hope for my future here in Jinja! I spent the day fellowshipping with other young missionaries. I started off this morning meeting another young American at a coffee shop. I was waiting for the missionaries I was spending the afternoon with and had time to get coffee. I spotted her like a hawk! She was sitting at a table outside reading her Bible so I made my way to her table and introduced myself. Now this is something I would never do in the states! It’s crazy the things that you’ll do when you move to a foreign country. It was so nice to have a quick conversation with her while drinking my wonderful coffee (It’s only the second time I’ve had it since I got here!). Tomorrow I am spending the afternoon with her at the ministry she works at for street children.

After the other missionaries picked me up at the coffee shop, we made our way out to Masese. These missionaries have done a wonderful job of creating a sustainable ministry with these women. The women make necklaces and the missionaries pay them a set price for each necklace. The women have to bring a bank statement each week showing that they have put a percentage of their earnings into a savings account. The missionaries are able to then sell the necklaces in the states to support even more ministry in Masese. I love learning from these missionaries because they have put so much thought into every aspect of their ministry and they love the people in Masese so much. I could see myself spending time investing in the people that live in Masese! There is so much to be done and so many people to love.

I ended the night fellowshipping with a fun group of young missionaries! After much talk of the ins and outs of living in Jinja and finding comfort in this new culture, we had Valentine’s Day pizza. You may be thinking what is Valentine’s Day pizza? It’s pizza with pepperoni and artichokes! You can buy a jar of artichokes here, but they are pricey because they have been imported into the country and the pepperoni came from a grocery store in Kampala (the capital city). So as you can see it was a special dinner indeed! These ladies were wonderful to talk to, they were very encouraging about the fellowship that I will be able to find among other missionaries here in Jinja. They also filled me in on the missionary e-mail list, where I can stay in contact with all of the missionaries in town.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you all! I hope you all have a wonderful day and are using this day to love others!

I have been asked by a couple of people how they can make donations to my ministry in Jinja. Please know that this is something that I am enormously grateful for. Without the generosity of so many, this journey simply could not happen. Thank you for supporting me in doing the most exciting thing I've ever done in my life!

Checks can be made out to:

Friendship Baptist Church (in order to receive a tax deduction)

Donations can be mailed to:

Alisha Vice

12911 Zanzibar Rd.

Grand Bay, AL

36541

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you made contact with more missionaries and was able to get that coffee...LOL
    I really enjoy my coffee ...but could learn to live without it if the need arose.
    Continuing to pray daily for you and your mission.

    ReplyDelete