Wednesday, February 8, 2012




I figured since Luke was getting so much time on here, his twin sister Rebecca deserved a day!
Sweet baby Kevin! Any questions as to why I love him? (My daddy's name is Kevin for those of you who don't know.) He even shares the same birthday month as my Daddy!

Today was a laid back, not very busy type of day. For those of you who know me, that translates to not my type of day! It wasn’t a bad day by any means, I just never got the opportunity to make a plan. Something that I am learning is going to get the best of me if I don’t constantly remind myself of where I am and that a plan is not required in Uganda! I am learning to go with the flow for real! Not just suck it up and deal with it for a few months like I have done before in other countries.

I did get to teach today! I hadn’t realized until today just how much I had missed teaching. We are starting with the basics for the girls. I mean alphabet and numbers kind of basic! I made flash cards this morning and for about an hour we did upper and lower case letters and 1-20. I blew their minds when I threw counting by 10’s at them…after that we decided they needed to stretch their legs outside! They are getting more and more comfortable with each day that passes. As you can see in the pictures, we had a feet photo shoot with my TOMS. They loved putting on my shoes and having their picture taken. Their little feet bare the weight of their stories. Their feet are callused and caked with mud and sores. We realized that many of them have jiggers and we will have to remove them when we get the materials. I’ve already declared that when we get their feet taken care that everybody is getting their toenails painted! I think that taking care of their beautiful feet is such a portrait of love. It’s something that Jesus did with a willing heart for His closest friends. Who knows what the feet of the apostles looked like. They traveled the same types of dusty roads with little to no shoes just like these little girls.

In the first part of 1 Corinthians 15:10, Paul says “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain.” I am so thankful that by the grace of God, I am here. I am so thankful that by the grace of God, He doesn’t give up on me when I whine to Him about how bad I want a Sam’s Super Burger ½ and ½ tea. I am so thankful that by the grace of God, I am made new with each morning that comes.

Many of you have asked for specific things that you can be praying for, and I have an easy one for you! Every night when I go to bed, I declare that tonight will be the night that I defeat jet lag. So far, jet lag has won every time. I am waking up around 2:00 for an hour and then around 4:00 for an hour…which is miserable! I have my fingers crossed that I will be over it tonight or tomorrow night. With your prayers, maybe I’ll sleep through the whole night tonight! Much love and many prayers to all!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alisha!! I think you should think about officially changing little Rebecca's name to RITA!! After all what is Kevin without his Rita??
    Just wanted to tell you that you have sooo touched my heart with your sweet words and the pictures of your even sweeter new friends. I look forward each day to reading about the work you've been doing and seeing those precious pics.
    I am praying for you, your mom and dad and Mark. And I'm praying that the jet lag goes away. (Maybe that's what my problem is. . ha!)
    I Love Ya Girlie. . . Stay Safe!!
    Ms. Diane

    ReplyDelete